Terms & Conditions
Work for all customers is undertaken on the basis that you understand & accept all the below terms and conditions:
– Wheathampstead Computer Services (WCS) offer an on-site computer repair service where possible. Items may be repaired at the main office due to practicality / equipment needs.
– Repairs & diagnosis of computer systems are complicated. In the majority of cases they are fixed first time, but in some cases a return visit may be necessary. Some issues may not be fixable at all due to faulty hardware or software. We charge a fair, below market average, hourly rate for labour and this applies throughout the repair regardless of whether it is fixed or not.
– We are frequently asked for an opinion or advice on many IT issues. This information may lead to us being employed for future works or at the same time as work taking place. All information is provided in good faith and to the best of our knowledge. If any information provided proves to have been superseded / or turns out to be inaccurate, then WCS shall not be held liable. This is because it’s impossible to know ‘everything’ about every IT related subject and all informaton is offered with the best of intent and on the basis of our experience. We welcome our opinions to be cross-checked by a third party, at any point, but their agreement or disagreement does not alter this.
– We are often completely reliant on information provided by the customer prior to agreeing to an on-site visit for repairs / IT works. If the customer cannot provide certain information and this results in an unsuccessful visit, then WCS shall not be held liable and fee’s will still be due.
– If a customer asks WCS to look at any mobile / tablet device without a functioning backup and any data is subsequently lost, following customer requested actions performed by WCS, then WCS shall not be held liable. We cannot easily check the contents of mobile devices (nor know what and where you have on each device) without invading your privacy and so this is the lesser of two evils.
– If there are any existing issues with your device / non-standard parts, that you have not made WCS aware of & this has a subsequent effect on either the diagnosis method taken / repair recommended, and / or causes subsequent related or unrelated fault’s, then WCS shall not be held liable.
– We may be asked for an “over the phone” estimate on a potential fault and cost to fix. We are happy to give an idea, but in almost all cases it’s impossible to be exact until we can physically see the computer. Therefore any verbal estimates are just that and it may turn out to be something much more expensive / cheaper to repair & the time taken to repair may increase / decrease.
– We require full payment on completion of the work, by cash or cheque. If parts need to be ordered, we may request that they be paid for up front.
– We don’t offer a “no fix, no fee” service, as I believe the entire concept is misleading to customers.
– Some repairs may require the use of software discs such as Windows OS, Office, Drivers etc if these are unavailable, it may hinder or delay the repair. In some cases replacements may need to be purchased by the customer to enable repair – we can supply the vast majority of such programmes at market rates.
– We cannot install un-licenced or “illegal” software.
– If carrying out any destructive work, such as wiping the operating system or virus removal, we will inform the customer of the need to backup any vital data prior to this happening, where possible. In some cases the data may be already damaged / wiped due to the pre-existing problem. In either case we will not be held liable for any loss of data that the customer has no working backup for, nor if WCS’s own backup of your data fails.
– Microsoft Office is not a standard part of Windows. It may have come with your PC, or you may have obtained it afterwards. If you cannot provide a disc and licence code for it, then it cannot be reinstalled if it becomes necessary to do so.
– When migrating Mac OSX data, for example to do a clean OSX install, there is a chance that some programmes may need re-installing afterwards. If you do not have the software / codes to enable this then WCS will not be held liable.
– iMac’s are not designed with easy upgrades / repairs in mind. They are extremely complicated to take apart, and almost all work require the removal of the screen. Every effort is made to be as careful as possible when doing this, but there are several fragile components that have to be removed, not least of which the screen.
– Should any components become damaged during any work carried out, WCS will naturally rectify them at our cost, with the exception of where this conflicts with another WCS policy (such as not informing us of any pre-existing issues / non-standard parts). Please be aware that certain replacement parts may take longer to obtain than others. WCS will not be held liable if this occurs, however long this may be, as it is a “nature of the beast”.
– Unfortunately we have no “loan machines” to offer for the duration of the repair, however long it may take.
– If recommendations are made by WCS – such as anti-virus or backups and these are not followed, causing subsequent faults, then WCS will not be held liable.
– Any parts/software supplied will be guaranteed by the manufacturer and subject to their warranty/guarantee period. None of our products or services have warranties that are insurance backed.
– All photos used on this website and associated advertising / social media are taken from “stock” photo providers & are used for illustrative & artistic purposes only.
– If a similar fault reoccurs within a month following a repair then a free reassessment will be made (except where this conflict’s with any other WCS policy). Unrelated faults occurring after repair, irrespective of timing/cause, are not our responsibility / fault and will be chargeable to fix.
– Any item’s that are given in to WCS for repair / diagnosis and are subsequently uncollected / unpaid for after 14 days, will be sold off to contribute towards any unpaid cost of parts / repairs.
– If In doubt, the ‘puncture rule’ applies – ie if you took a car into ‘Kwik Fit’ due to a puncture and the tyre goes flat during inspection / prior to you ok’ing a repair, then obviously Kwik Fit have not caused this flat tyre, the puncture has merely got worse on inspection and you would still be liable for the repair. The same applies with any device brought into WCS for inspection where the same fault get’s worse after inspection. This is doubly true if you do not make WCS aware of any other fault’s / problem’s that would potentially have a bearing on the situation and therefore our approach to diagnosis / repair.
These T’s & C’s are for your benefit as much as our’s and try to help ensure a first time fix & therefore happy customers.